About This Recipe:
Last week’s chilly rainstorm in Los Angeles inspired me to put a garden-fresh twist on traditional chicken noodle soup. I simmered a whole chicken with aromatic lemongrass and ginger, adding home-grown tomatoes and eggplant for a hearty, earthy flavor. The soup, enriched with rice noodles and garnished with basil and green onions, turned out to be the perfect comfort food for the cool weather, combining the classic comfort of chicken noodle soup with the unique flavors of my garden’s bounty.
Watch Me Make This Recipe (on TikTok):
@carmeninthegarden #gardentotable Lemongrass Ginger Chicken Noodle Soup – a classic rainy dish with a soothing twist of ginger and lemongrass 🍜💚👩🏻🌾 #garden #soup #recipe ♬ original sound – Carmen in the Garden
Watch Me Make This Recipe (on Instagram):
How To Make This Recipe:Print
Perfect for a rainy day, I crafted a unique chicken noodle soup, infusing it with garden-fresh tomatoes, eggplant, lemongrass, and ginger, creating a comforting, flavorful dish perfect for chilly weather.
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 stalks lemongrass, cut lengthwise and chopped in to 3-inch bits
- 3 Lime leaves, crushed
- 6 2-inch slices fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 garlic head, cut across
- 3 jalapeno peppers, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium sliced eggplant
- 6–8 ounces rice noodles
- Herbs for garnish (basil and green onions)
- Place the whole chicken in a large pot. If it doesn’t fit completely, remove the legs to fit better. Add enough water to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer the chicken with lemongrass, lime leaves, ginger, garlic, jalapeno, onion, and salt and peppercorns until the chicken is fully cooked and tender. Leave lid slightly ajar, and skim impurities as you go. This typically takes about 60-90 minutes.
- Once the chicken is done, remove it from the pot and set it aside. Shred the chicken meat and discard the bones and skin.
- Return the chicken broth to a boil and add sliced mushrooms, tomato, and sliced eggplant. Cook until they are tender. Add salt to taste.
- While the vegetables are cooking, add the rice noodles and shredded chicken directly to the simmering broth. Cook until the noodles are tender; this usually takes about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with herbs.