About this recipe:
Indulge in the perfect late summer-to-fall transition with our Fennel, Tomatillo, Sausage & Cannellini Bean Soup. This hearty recipe combines the best of both seasons, embracing the late summer’s fresh, crisp flavors while inviting the cozy warmth of autumn comfort soups.
Watch me make this recipe:
@carmeninthegarden #gardentotable Fennel, tomatillo, sausage and cannellini bean soup. I’m very slowly easing in to fall and embracing late summer vegetables as cozy recipes. I had a bit of a sad weekend, we said goodbye to one of our beloved “ladies,” Rosa. 💔🐓 #garden #soup #latesummer ♬ original sound – Carmen in the Garden
How to make this recipe:Print
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight
- 4 Italian sausages, casings removed and crumbled (2 sweet, 2 spicy)
- 1 large fennel bulb or fennel fronds, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup tomatillos, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Parmesan rinds (optional for extra flavor)
- Olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Water, as needed
- Fresh green onions and parsley, minced, for garnish
- Crusty bread, for serving
1. In a large pot, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the crumbled Italian sausages and cook until browned. Remove and set aside.
2. In the same pot, add a bit more olive oil if needed. Add the soaked and drained cannellini beans, then pour in the vegetable broth.
3. Add the fennel seeds, chopped onion, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the beans are tender, adding water as needed for your desired soup consistency. Add the Parmesan rinds to infuse flavor into the soup.
4. After 30 minutes, add the chopped fennel (or fennel fronds if using) and diced tomatillos directly to the pot.
5. Once the beans are tender, remove the Parmesan rinds and any tough herb stems. Return the cooked sausages to the pot.
6. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve hot, garnished with minced green onions and parsley. Enjoy with crusty bread.