About the recipe:
This dish combines the natural sweetness of roasted butternut squash with the aromatic essence of fresh basil oil to create a mouthwatering, homemade masterpiece. The process is simpler than it sounds – roast the squash, blend the basil, craft the gnocchi, and toss them together in a savory pasta sauce infused with anchovies, green beans, and zesty lemon zest. Finish with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, and you’ll have a meal that’s sure to impress your family and friends.
Watch me make this recipe:
@carmeninthegarden #gardentotable butternut squash gnocchi with green beans, anchovies and basil oil! 💚👩🏻🌾 #recipes #pasta #garden ♬ original sound – Carmen in the Garden
How to make this recipe:Print
For the Basil Oil:
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (about one large handful)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
For the Gnocchi:
- 1 butternut squash
- Olive oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
For the Pasta Sauce:
- Olive oil
- 1 tin of anchovies
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups green beans, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese (for garnish)
Roast the Butternut Squash:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Cut the butternut squash in half, remove the seeds, rub with olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Roast them in the oven, face down, for about 45 minutes or until they are cooked and tender.
- Let them cool.
Make the Basil Oil:
- In a blender, combine the fresh basil leaves and olive oil.
- Blend until well combined.
- Double strain the mixture through a mesh sieve and a tea towel to remove any solids.
- Set the basil oil aside.
Prepare the Gnocchi:
- Take half of the roasted butternut squash, remove the skin, and mash it until smooth. (Save the other half for later, or leftovers!)
- Mix the mashed butternut squash with the all-purpose flour to form a dough. You may need to add a little more flour or butternut squash. You’re looking for a smooth dough that you can roll out.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch thick ropes.
- Cut the ropes into 1-inch pieces.
- Roll each piece on a gnocchi board or fork to create ridges.
- Boil the gnocchi in salted water until they float to the surface, indicating they are cooked. This usually takes a few minutes. Remove them with a slotted spoon.
Make the Pasta Sauce:
- In a pan, heat some olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the tin of anchovies and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Cook until the anchovies melt into the oil.
- Add the green beans and sauté until they are cooked and tender.
- Add lemon zest, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Gently stir in the cooked gnocchi, adding a little pasta water to create a sauce.
- Finish off with a drizzle of basil oil, grated Parmesan cheese, and additional fresh basil leaves for garnish.