About This Recipe:
Welcome back to my kitchen, where we love to celebrate the flavors of the season. Today, we’re showcasing a dish that truly embraces my love for seasonal cooking: Herb-Infused Harmony: Beef Meatballs Meet Toasted Fregola and Seasonal Veggie Medley.
Imagine this: tender, oregano-infused beef meatballs coupled with toasted fregola, a delightful, pearl-like pasta from Sardinia that’s been toasted to nutty perfection. Paired with a vibrant medley of seasonal vegetables such as Swiss chard stems and crisp cabbage, this is no ordinary meatball dish.
The true stars here are the fresh, seasonal vegetables that bring a wonderful brightness and earthiness to the dish. Sautéed to perfection and stirred through the toasted fregola, these vegetables pair beautifully with the robust flavors of the hearty beef meatballs and fragrant oregano. But the beauty of this dish is its versatility. If you can’t find fregola, don’t worry! You can easily substitute it with couscous or orzo, making this dish adaptable to what you have on hand.
This dish is more than just a meal—it’s a celebration of seasonal cooking. It’s deeply satisfying, wonderfully balanced, and truly embraces the essence of using fresh, seasonal produce. So let’s dive into the season’s bounty and bring a little Herb-Infused Harmony into our kitchens today!
Watch Me Make This Recipe:
@carmeninthegarden Join me on a garden-to-table journey! 🌱Harvesting fresh ingredients for Herb-Infused Beef Meatballs with Toasted Fregola, Veggie Medley + Steamed Artichokes. Want the full recipe? Sign up for my newsletter! Link in bio. #GardenToTable #FreshHarvest #HomeCooking ♬ original sound – Carmen in the Garden
How To Make This Recipe:Print
Herb-Infused Harmony: Beef Meatballs Meet and Seasonal Veggie Pasta Medley
Savor the season with Herb-Infused Harmony: Beef Meatballs, Pasta, and a medley of fresh veggies. Versatile, vibrant, and oh-so satisfying
For the Beef Meatballs:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup shredded/grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Pasta:
- 1 cup orzo, couscous, or toasted fregola pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 cup chopped Swiss chard stems
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Dill, for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Yogurt, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, oregano, carrot, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined, then form into small meatballs. Arrange them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the meatballs in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until browned and cooked through.
- While the meatballs are baking, heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the cabbage, Swiss chard stems, and green onions, and sauté until tender and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the orzo until it’s coated in the oil, then pour in the chicken broth or water. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Let it cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until the orzo is tender and has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Stir in the oregano, then add the baked meatballs to the pot. Gently stir to combine, then cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until everything is heated through.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot. Serve with fresh dill and yogurt if desired.
- Remember to check that the meatballs are fully cooked (internal temperature should reach 160°F for beef) before serving. Enjoy your meal!