About This Recipe:
Spring has arrived, and with it comes a bounty of fresh, flavorful produce that’s perfect for creating healthy and delicious meals. This grainy salad recipe combines two of the season’s stars – broccoli and cauliflower – with protein-packed chicken and a variety of nutritious grains and fresh herbs.
Broccoli and cauliflower are in peak season during the spring months, making them a cost-effective and delicious addition to any meal. Combined with nutty basmati rice and toasted almonds, this salad is both hearty and nutritious. The addition of anchovies to the salad adds a subtle umami flavor that perfectly complements the lemon-thyme marinated chicken.
This recipe is not only flavorful and satisfying but also easy to prepare. With just a few simple steps, you can have a delicious and healthy meal ready in no time. It’s perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a weekend lunch with friends.
So, if you’re looking for a recipe that celebrates the flavors of the season, give this broccoli-cauliflower grain salad with lemon-thyme chicken a try. Your taste buds – and your body – will thank you!
Watch me Make This Recipe:
@carmeninthegarden Try this delicious grainy salad with lemon-thyme chicken! 🍋🍗🥦 It's easy to prepare and packed with fresh ingredients, including broccoli, cauliflower, basmati rice, and almonds. #garden #gardentok #recipes #healthy ♬ original sound – Carmen in the Garden
How to Make This Recipe:Print
Broccoli-Cauliflower Grain Salad with Anchovy and Lemon Thyme One-Skillet Chicken
- Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 2-4 1x
Get your daily dose of fresh, seasonal veggies with this grainy salad featuring broccoli, cauliflower, and anchovies, served with lemon-thyme chicken.
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 small head of broccoli, 1/2 if store bought
- 1 small head of cauliflower, 1/4 or 1/2 if store bought
- 4–5 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1–1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh green onions/ scallions
- Cook the basmati rice according to package instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, anchovies, and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the broccoli and cauliflower to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, chopped thyme, salt, and pepper. Brush the mixture over the chicken breasts, then place them in a baking dish.
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until cooked through.*
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked basmati rice, vegetable mixture, chopped almonds, chopped parsley, and chopped chives. Toss to combine.
- Serve the salad with the lemon thyme chicken breasts sliced on top or on the side.
Enjoy your delicious and flavorful grainy salad with lemon thyme chicken!
- The safe internal temperature for cooked chicken is 165°F (74°C). This temperature should be measured using a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken, such as the breast or thigh. It’s important to make sure the chicken has reached this temperature to ensure that any harmful bacteria present in the meat are destroyed, and to ensure that the chicken is fully cooked and safe to eat.