I call this cake Sunshine & Strawberries. The title may seem obvious – yes it’s a bit citrusy but not citrusy enough to call it an orange cake. The other reason I call it sunshine is because have you ever seen an angel food cake and the outside is super flaky? By experimenting, I found that by making a simple syrup instead of adding sugar directly to the egg whites, I was able to get an outside cake texture that was more firm and kept its golden glow. Enjoy with strawberries and cream like a traditional angel food cake.Print
Making the simple syrup in advance gives this cake a more firm outside layer that some times get stripped when making an angel food cake. Ever seen an angel food cake and it looks like it’s peeling after a bad sunburn? Not this cake. Slightly citrusy, very airy, firm texture. Top with freshly whipped cream and strawberries.
For the cake:
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1–1/2 cups sugar
- 10 egg whites
- 1/2 water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Peel of one orange
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 pint strawberries, rinsed, stems removed and quartered length-wise
For the whipped cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
Tools you need:
- Angel food cake pan
- Hand mixer with whisk or free standing mixer with whisk attachment
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Boil sugar and water in small pot with orange peel. Boil until clear and reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl whisk egg whites on high until medium peaks form. Add salt and orange extract. Whisk briefly.
- Remove orange peel from simple syrup. While whisking egg whites slowly pour in simple syrup.
- Sift flour and cream of tartar. In thirds, using a spatula, gently fold in flour and cream of tartar.
- Pour batter in to angel food cake. Bake for about 50-55 minutes.
- Using a knife carefully cut around edges of the pan. Invert pan on cooling rack (the cake will now be upside down). Let cake cool for 15 minutes before transferring to serving platter. Cool entirely on serving platter. Approximately 30 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, mix heavy whipping cream until firm. Add in sugar until fully incorporated.
- Evenly spread whipped cream on cake. Top evenly with strawberries.
- Cut and enjoy!