I tested this recipe several times before landing on this one here. Some recipes weren’t creamy enough and others didn’t have enough flavor. Using potato adds a bit of starch and the fine texture I was seeking. I find that the addition of tahini brings out a nuttiness in the soup that complements the turmeric. Topped with crispy onions and toasted pine nuts, the smooth and creamy soup is complemented with a bit of a crunch. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
This soup makes a great make-ahead meal. I tripled the recipe and transported it to a vegan lunch I catered for 20+ people. I re-heated it up on the stove top easily.Print
Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Turmeric – Vegan Plant Based
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 bowls 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Plant Based Vegan
Nothing like a comforting bowl of soup.
For the soup:
- 1 large cauliflower, or 2 small cauliflower, stems and leaves removed roughly chopped into florets
- 2 onions roughly chopped (reserve 1/4 of an onion for fried onion topping)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tbsp turmeric- divided in to 1 tbsp for baking and 1 tbsp for the soup
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp dill
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 potato, chopped in to 1 inch piece
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 onion reserved, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup each finely chopped dill & parsley
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 400. Arrange cauliflower florets and onions on a rimmed baking with parchment paper. Combine olive oil, turmeric, cumin, coriander, dill, cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Toss olive oil mixture with cauliflower and onions by hand. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, combine olive oil and garlic on medium heat. Once fragrant (approximately 1-2 minutes), add the potatoes and reserved 1 tbsp turmeric. Cover and heat on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in vegetable stock, bay leaf, tahini. Bring to a boil.
- Carefully, add roasted cauliflower and onions to stock pot and return to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- While the cauliflower simmers, prepare the fried onion topping. In a small bowl, mix the onions and flour. In a suitable frying pan, heat the grapeseed oil on medium high heat. Once hot, fry the onions, shaking off excess flour. Fry until medium-dark brown. Remove from oil and pat dry with a paper towel. Set aside.
- REMOVE THE BAY LEAF FROM THE SOUP. With an immersion blender, carefully blend the soup until it is a creamy smooth texture. Add salt and pepper to taste (approximately 1-2 tsp each)
- Ladle in to bowls, top with toasted pine nuts, chopped dill & parsley, a bit of lemon juice, and fried onions. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Keywords: soup, cauliflower, plant based, vegan