Hands down my all time favorite summer salad. Tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, green onions, mint, dill and crispy romaine tossed in a creamy cilantro avocado dressing and topped with crispy chickpeas.
- 1 English cucumber, sliced and quartered
- 1 bunch radishes, sliced thin,
- 1 bell pepper, cut in strips
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 green onions, sliced (green part only)
- 1 head of romaine, chopped
- 1 bunch of mint, chopped fine
- 1 bunch of dill, chopped fine
- Pita chips
- 1/2 pickled red onion (to make quick pickled red onions, see here)
For the dressing:
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 large ripe avocado
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the chickpeas:
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and patted dry
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chili powder
- Preheat oven to 375. Dump chickpeas on baking sheet, drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt & chili powder. Using your hands mix it all up until well coated. Bake for 40 minutes or until the chickpeas are nice and crunchy. Let cool and set aside.
- To make the dressing: in a blender combine avocado, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until you are ready to assemble salad.
- To assemble the salad: toss the dressing and all of the ingredients except pita chips and chickpeas together. Gently toss pita chips and chickpeas just before serving (in order to maintain crispy & crunchy-ness).