About This Recipe:
Welcome to my kitchen, where we celebrate the beauty of the harvest season with a delightful creation: the “Harvest Lentil Rice Bowl with Cucumbers.” From my garden to your plate, this nourishing dish embraces the goodness of fresh produce. Sautéed spices and grated ginger and turmeric create a tantalizing aroma as I cook carrots, walking onion bulbs, lentils, and basmati rice together. Topped with cucumbers and feta cheese, it’s a vibrant and wholesome feast that celebrates nature’s bounty in every bite. Enjoy the love and care put into this dish; it’s a celebration of life through food. Bon appétit!
Watch Me Make This Recipe:
@carmeninthegarden I think this lunch hits every flavor I love- tart cucamelons and cucumber meet slow simmered spiced carrots, lentils and rice. I could probably eat this everyday. 🥣 💚👩🏻🌾 #garden #gardentok #cooking ♬ original sound – Carmen in the Garden
Shop The Recipe:
How To Make This Recipe:Print
- 1/4 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 cup lentils (divided into two equal parts)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh turmeric (or 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Feta, crumbled (optional)
- If you don’t have cucamelons, use cherry tomatoes or diced zucchini.
- If you don’t have Greek basil, use regular basil or cilantro.
- If you don’t have walking onion bulbs, use regular onions or green onions (scallions).
- Rinse the basmati rice and 1/4 cup of lentils under cold water until the water runs clear. In a medium-sized pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add grated ginger, grated turmeric, coriander powder, and cumin powder to the pot. Sauté for about 1-2 minutes until the spices release their aroma.
- Add the chopped carrots and sauté for about 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of lentils and 1/4 cup of rice into the pot with the sautéed vegetables. Add enough water to cover the mixture (about 2 cups), season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot with a lid, and let it simmer until the lentils and rice are fully cooked and the water is absorbed. This should take about 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a small bowl, mix your chosen substitute for cucamelons (cherry tomatoes or diced zucchini). In another bowl, whisk together the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and white wine vinegar to create a quick pickle dressing. Pour the dressing over the substitute vegetables and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Once the lentil-rice mixture is cooked and thickened, spoon it into serving bowls. Top each bowl with the pickled substitute vegetables and chopped Greek basil (or your chosen herb). Finish with some crumbled feta.
- Serve the curry-inspired lentil and rice bowl with your selected vegetable substitutions and herbs on top. Enjoy your delicious and nutritious harvest bowl!
Note: As always, feel free to adjust the seasoning and ingredients according to your taste preferences and what you have available in your kitchen or garden. The recipe is versatile, so you can customize it with different vegetables and herbs based on what’s in season or in your pantry.