About the Recipe:
This dish is a flavorful and satisfying pasta dish that combines the briny taste of sardines with the earthiness of mushrooms. The dish starts with sautéing garlic and sliced mushrooms until tender and browned. Canned sardines in oil are added to the skillet and cooked for a few minutes, breaking them up gently with a fork. The lemon zest, lemon juice, chopped fresh parsley, thyme, and red pepper flakes are added to the skillet to create a bright and tangy sauce. The cooked pasta is added to the skillet along with some of the reserved pasta cooking water to help thicken the sauce. The pasta is then tossed to coat well and cooked for a few minutes to meld the flavors together. Finally, the dish is finished with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice. This Lemon and Sardine Pasta with Mushrooms is a quick and easy dish that is perfect for a weeknight dinner, yet elegant enough to serve to guests.
Where to Buy Sardines:
My favorite sardines to use with this recipe are ones that are packed with hot peppers. They add a little bit of heat to the pasta that pairs well with the bright lemon and herb flavors. To purchase some of my favorite sardines for this recipe you can shop through the linked pictures below:
How to Make This Recipe:Print
Lemon and Sardine Pasta with Mushrooms
This Lemon and Sardine Pasta with Mushrooms is a quick and easy recipe. Sauté garlic, mushrooms, and sardines in oil. Add lemon zest, juice, parsley, thyme, and pepper flakes. Add cooked pasta and reserved cooking water. Toss and top with Parmesan cheese and lemon juice. Perfect for a weeknight dinner!
- 12 oz dried spaghetti or linguine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tin of sardines in oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Cook the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water and drain the rest.
- Sauté the garlic and mushrooms: In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and sauté the minced garlic and sliced mushrooms until tender and browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the sardines: Add the sardines with their oil to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, breaking them up gently.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the pasta and sauce: Add the cooked pasta to the skillet along with 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta cooking water. Toss to combine and cook for 2-3 minutes until the pasta is well coated and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Serve: Divide the pasta among four bowls. Top each bowl with grated Parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice. Enjoy!
I’d be thrilled to hear how you make this recipe and any variations or feedback you might have! Please follow me on my social media platforms and sign up for my email list to stay up-to-date on all my seasonal recipes.