This Lemon and Sardine Pasta with Mushrooms is a quick and easy recipe. Sauté garlic, mushrooms, and sardines in oil. Add lemon zest, juice, parsley, thyme, and pepper flakes. Add cooked pasta and reserved cooking water. Toss and top with Parmesan cheese and lemon juice. Perfect for a weeknight dinner!
- 12 oz dried spaghetti or linguine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tin of sardines in oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Cook the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water and drain the rest.
- Sauté the garlic and mushrooms: In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and sauté the minced garlic and sliced mushrooms until tender and browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the sardines: Add the sardines with their oil to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, breaking them up gently.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the pasta and sauce: Add the cooked pasta to the skillet along with 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta cooking water. Toss to combine and cook for 2-3 minutes until the pasta is well coated and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Serve: Divide the pasta among four bowls. Top each bowl with grated Parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice. Enjoy!