About This Recipe:
Late spring is a lovely time to relish fresh, crisp ingredients, and this salad is just the ticket for a wholesome meal. It’s a cinch to make and so nutritious that it can easily be the star of your lunch or a wonderful accompaniment to your main dish.
Let’s start by making a delectable dressing. Shallots are a real treat this time of year; they’re milder and slightly sweeter compared to other onions. Finely mince one shallot and put it in a bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar for a bit of tang, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil for smoothness, 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard for a hint of spice, and 1 tablespoon of honey to bring in a gentle sweetness. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper to taste, and whisk everything together. Set this aside to let the flavors come together while you prepare the salad.
Now for the vibrant salad itself. Red cabbage has braved the winter and is just waiting to add crunch and color to your dishes. Shred about 2 cups. Kale is particularly tender in late spring, and it’s such a nutrition powerhouse. Chop up 2 cups, but remember to remove the stems. Combine the cabbage and kale to create a colorful and hearty base. Add in the slices of a fresh apple. The apple provides a sweet crunch, reminiscent of a perfect spring day.
For an earthy touch, take a half cup of pecans, give them a rough chop, and toast them slightly. This enhances their flavor and gives your salad an extra layer of texture. Finish it off with a sprinkle of chive blossoms. They’re not just pretty; they bring in a delicate flavor that’s perfect for this season.
Now, gently toss the salad with the dressing you prepared. What you have here is a celebration of late spring in a bowl – fresh, nutritious, and absolutely delicious. Enjoy!
Watch Me Make This Recipe:
@carmeninthegarden From Garden to Table: Harvested fresh ingredients for my Deliciously Crunchy Red Cabbage Kale Salad with Toasted Pecans. Join my newsletter for more tasty recipes! 🥗🌱✨ Disclosure: I have a family relationship with Pali Wine Co. #FreshFromTheGarden #salad #garden #gardentotable ♬ original sound – Carmen in the Garden
How to Make This Recipe:Print
Savor late spring with this crisp salad of red cabbage, kale, apple, & pecans, tossed in a honey-mustard dressing & garnished with chive blossoms.
Ingredients for the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups chopped kale (stems removed)
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
- Chive blossoms, for garnish
- In a mason jar, shake together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, honey, minced shallot, salt, and pepper until well combined.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the shredded red cabbage and kale. Sprinkle lightly with salt and massage the kale and red cabbage to help it soften up. Add apple slices and chopped pecans.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss well to coat everything evenly. Ensure that the dressing is well distributed throughout the salad.
- Allow the salad to sit for about 10 minutes to let the flavors meld together. This will also help soften the kale slightly.
- Give the salad a final toss before serving.
- Garnish the salad with chive blossoms.
- Serve the apple and pecan red cabbage kale salad as a side dish with roast chicken or as a light lunch on its own.