This is NOT your store bought ice cream sandwiched between two cookies. This is an ice cream sandwich bar like the ones you used to have – where you unwrapped the paper and it was amazing.
Cherry chocolate chip ice cream sandwiched between two pieces of chocolate cake bread. The ice cream is SO good that I doubled the ice cream in this recipe for you so you could have some left over for when the sandwiches get all gobbled up.
Making these sandwiches does require a bit of advanced prep work – but they are well worth it and make a perfect dessert for Valentine’s Day.Print
Cherry chocolate chip ice cream sandwiched between two pieces of delicious chocolate cake.
For the ice cream:
- 1/2 cup or more dark chocolate shavings
- 1/2 cup or more cherries, pitted and quartered
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1–3/4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, whisked well
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the sandwich cake:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1–1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate shavings
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
What specific tools you need:
To make the ice cream:
- Make sure that your ice cream drum has been thoroughly frozen before beginning. Refrigerate dark chocolate shavings and cherries.
- In a pot: combine milk, cream and sugar until sugar is dissolved on medium heat. Add vanilla extract. Slowly stir in whisked eggs.
- On medium heat constantly stir until the mixture begins to thicken, about 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool completely before covering and transferring to fridge. Refrigerate overnight (12 hours)
- Set up you ice cream mixer, ladle in ice cream mixture and turn out ice cream maker. As soon as your ice cream forms – in batches, add your cherries and dark chocolate shavings. Once fully incorporated and there are enough cherries and chocolate shavings to your liking, transfer drum to the freezer for about 30 minutes. Use about half of the ice cream for your sandwiches. Save the other half for another time 🙂 I keep my leftover ice cream in a standard bread tin with plastic wrap on top.
To make the cake bread:
- Grease and line your cake pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment: mixer butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla until combined.
- In a bowl mix remaining dry ingredients: cocoa powder, baking powder, flour, and salt.
- On medium-low, slowly incorporate dry ingredients in to batter. Once incorporated, add in dark chocolate shavings.
- Carefully pour batter in to pan, using a spatula spread it out evenly to a thin layer.
- Bake approximately 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when pricked. Let sit for 10 minutes. Carefully transfer to cooling rack.
- Once cake has fully cooled, cut in half width wise. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap and freeze until your ice cream is ready.
To make the sandwiches:
- Unwrap your cake pieces and place one piece of cake on plastic wrap. Working quickly, carefully spread about half of the ice cream on to the half of the cake sitting on plastic wrap. Carefully place other half of cake on top of ice cream. Quickly wrap in plastic wrap and let freeze over night.
- Unwrap your sandwich. Using a sharp knife, cut in to 8 even ice cream bars.
- Serve immediately or wrap each sandwich individually in parchment paper.
Keywords: ice cream sandwich