About This Recipe:
Embrace the flavors of fall and winter with this delightful roasted chicken dish, inspired by the classic Caesar salad. The chicken, seasoned with a Caesar-esque rub, cooks atop fingerling potatoes, allowing the drippings to enrich the spuds with flavor. A sprinkle of Parmesan adds a perfect finish. Served on fresh greens, the pan drippings double as a natural, flavorful dressing. Perfect for festive fetes and gatherings!
A note for those hesitant about anchovies: start with just one or two filets to suit your palate. I personally swear by the entire tin (oil included) of Fishwife anchovies for this recipe. And for the best results, a high-quality chicken from a trusted source like my local Standing’s Butchery makes all the difference. Give this recipe a whirl; you might just find your new seasonal favorite!
Watch Me Make This Recipe:
@carmeninthegarden #gardentotable caesar roast chicken with rosemary garlic potatoes, kale, and cherry tomatoes. An easy, nourishing meal! #garden #fall #recipe ♬ original sound – Carmen in the Garden
How to Make This Recipe:Print
· Fingerling potatoes
· Olive oil
· Salt and pepper
· Fresh rosemary
· 4-pound chicken
· 1 tin of anchovies in oil
· 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
· Freshly ground pepper
· 3 cloves garlic
· Zest of one lemon
· 1 lemon
· 1 onion
· 1 head of garlic
· Cherry tomatoes
· Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 425°F.
2. In a casserole dish, place the fingerling potatoes. Drizzle them with olive oil, and season with salt, pepper, and fresh rosemary.
3. Place the 4-pound chicken on top of the bed of potatoes.
4. To make the Caesar rub, in a bowl or glass measuring cup, combine one tin of anchovies and their oil, Dijon mustard, freshly ground pepper, 3 cloves of garlic, and the zest of one lemon. Use an immersion blender to blend everything until smooth.
5. Quarter the lemon and the onion and put them inside the chicken.
6. Rub the Caesar rub all over the chicken, and sprinkle a bit of salt over it.
7. Cut the top off a whole garlic head, drizzle it with a little olive oil, and sprinkle with some salt. Place it in the casserole dish.
8. Roast the chicken in the preheated oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
9. While the chicken is roasting, prepare the kale and cherry tomatoes. Rinse and hand tear the kale leaves and place them in serving bowls. Halve the cherry tomatoes and add them to the bowls.
10. Once the chicken is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool on a cutting board for 10 minutes before carving.
11. Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves over the potatoes and mix to combine everything. Grate Parmesan cheese over the potatoes.
12. To serve, place the potatoes and chicken on top of the kale and cherry tomatoes. Use the drippings from the casserole dish to dress everything. I skip additional salad dressing since the chicken and potatoes are flavorful. Enjoy!