About This Recipe:
Let me tell you about my latest summer obsession: ‘Summer Harvest: Fennel Chicken with Tomatillo Dressed Tomato, Cucumber & Quinoa Medley.’ It’s everything a summer dish should be—fresh, zesty, and nourishing.
Straight from the garden, I grabbed some purple tomatillos, a jalapeno, serrano pepper, and fresh oregano. Together with fennel pollen, they added an aromatic punch to the roasted chicken. But the real star of the show? That tangy tomatillo dressing. Blending it with lime, red onion, and garlic made it the perfect accompaniment to the diced cucumber, tomato, and quinoa salad.
What I love most about this dish is how the seasonal ingredients come together. You can practically taste the sunshine in every bite! Whether you’re enjoying it on a warm evening or packing it for a picnic, it’s a taste of summer that keeps you coming back for more.
And let’s not forget the avocado. Those creamy slices are the cherry on top of this refreshing summer meal. I hope you’ll give it a try and fall in love with it just as I have. Enjoy!
Watch Me Make This Recipe:
@carmeninthegarden 🌞 Sun's out, garden is growing quickly! Watch me go from garden harvest to dinner plate with my "Summer Harvest: Fennel Chicken with Tomatillo Dressed Tomato, Cucumber & Quinoa Medley". 💚🌿 Want to recreate this? Sign up for my newsletter at the link in bio for this recipe and more garden-to-table tips! 💌💡 #Summer #garden #gardentotable #salad ♬ original sound – Carmen in the Garden
Shop This Recipe:
How To Make This Recipe:Print
Fresh garden harvest meets zesty summer flavors: Fennel Chicken & Tomatillo Dressed Salad. Taste the sunshine!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon Fennel pollen
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8–10 Purple tomatillos
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1 Serrano
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1 medium red onion, half diced for the salad, half for the dressing
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Season the chicken breasts with the fennel pollen, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- On a baking sheet or in a cast iron skillet, place the tomatillos, jalapeno, serrano, and fresh oregano. Roast in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until they burst.
- While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the salad. In a large bowl, mix the diced red onion, cucumber, tomatoes, and cooked quinoa.
- Once the tomatillos, jalapeno, serrano, and oregano have roasted, remove them from the oven. In a cast iron skillet, sear the chicken breasts with 1 tablespoon of olive oil or the remaining oil from the roasted vegetables. Place the chicken breasts in the oven and cook for another 20-25 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- While the chicken is roasting, make your dressing. In a blender, combine the roasted tomatillos, jalapeno, serrano, oregano, lime juice, the remaining half of the red onion, and garlic. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the salad with some of the dressing, reserving some for drizzling.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes. After it’s rested, slice the chicken.
- To assemble the dish, top the salad with slices of avocado and the roasted chicken. Drizzle with additional dressing as desired.