Enjoy the season’s bounty with our gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined sugar-free Kumquat Olive Oil Muffins with Thyme Icing! Bright, tangy kumquats and savory thyme icing make for a unique and delicious treat.
For the muffins:
- 1 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- approximately 1/2 cup kumquat puree (made from pureeing 10–12 kumquats, removing the seeds)
For the icing:
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a muffin tin with paper or silicone muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the eggs, maple syrup, olive oil, kumquat puree, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling each cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the icing. In a small saucepan, heat the coconut cream over low heat until it starts to simmer. Whisk in the maple syrup and thyme. Continue to cook the mixture over low heat, whisking frequently, until it thickens slightly and becomes a smooth icing consistency. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the icing cool for a few minutes.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once muffins are cool and removed from their cups, gently dip each muffin in the icing. Garnish with a kumquat slice and some thyme. Enjoy!