- 4 fresh artichokes OR 1 can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach, packed OR 1 package (10 oz) of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2–3 jalapenos or hot peppers, depending on desired heat (adjust to taste), OR 1 can of diced green chiles
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional, for extra heat)
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions or green onions, for garnish
For Homemade Mayonnaise/ Aioli:
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil or other neutral-tasting oil, such as canola or grapeseed oil; alternatively, you can use olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- If using fresh artichokes, remove the outer leaves and trim the stem. Cut off the top third of the artichoke and use a spoon to remove the fuzzy choke. Steam or boil the artichokes until tender, then remove the tender heart and chop it finely. If using canned artichoke hearts, drain and chop them.
- If using fresh spinach, rinse the spinach leaves thoroughly, then roughly chop them. If using frozen spinach, thaw it and drain it well.
- If using fresh jalapenos or hot peppers, remove the seeds and ribs (for less heat), and finely chop the peppers. If using canned diced green chiles, drain them.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, chopped artichokes, spinach, diced jalapenos or green chiles, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, paprika, and red pepper flakes (if using). Mix until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking dish or a cast-iron skillet. Spread it evenly and top with an extra sprinkling of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Garnish with chopped scallions or green onions. Serve warm with tortilla chips, crackers, or toasted bread.
For homemade Mayonnaise/ Aioli:
- In a tall container that will fit your immersion blender, combine the egg yolk, Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar or lemon juice, oil, salt, and black pepper.
- Place the immersion blender at the bottom of the container, and start blending, moving it slowly up as the mixture thickens. This should take less than a minute.
- Continue blending until the mayonnaise is thick and creamy.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- If you don’t have fresh artichokes, you can use a can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped.
- If you don’t have fresh spinach, you can use frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained.
- If you don’t have fresh jalapenos or hot peppers, you can use a can of diced green chiles, drained.
- If you don’t want to make homemade mayonnaise, you can use store-bought mayonnaise instead.